Friday, April 6, 2012

Quitting My Job

In January, I resigned from my position after 11 years. I think it is finally safe to blog about this because it is now public knowledge. It was hard to quit a job I loved but I had to do it. Of course, I am sticking it out until the end of the school year. I am 50 years old and usually I have not been one to stick around too long so this job had been an anomaly. I moved a lot growing up. I get burned out and unhappy. I need a change. It will be sad to leave my friends but I have to do it.

Looking for a new job is kind of fun. The uncertainty about what I will do next year is unsettling and stressful, applying is tedious, interviewing is hard to schedule and nerve-wracking (especially while teaching an overloaded schedule) but I am learning a lot about myself and it's kind of exhilarating. I can't decide if I should teach math or science. I don't really want to do both. I thought I wanted to teach math but so far schools seem more interested in me as a science teacher. It is kind of like the title of my blog, I am undetermined, can't be defined, not quite imaginary....

I'm also going back to school. I am starting by retaking Calculus. I took it 30 years ago, from a non-English speaking teacher at the U of Mn and didn't really get it. I am ready now. Then I am going to take all of the classes I need to extend my math license from 5-8 to 5-12. That will be a nice goal (it is only 6 classes after Calculus) Then I think it's time to get a PhD, I'll decide about that after my youngest child graduates from high school, after I have a little more experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment